Drawing - Paul Matt - Aeromarine-39B
Brand Kiona Publishing, Inc.
The Aeromarine 39 was an American two-seat trainer type seaplane, which was ordered by the US Navy in 1917. It was built by the Aeromarine Plane and Motor Company of Keyport, New Jersey. It was of conventional biplane configuration and construction. However, the aircraft was designed so its pontoons could be speedily detached and replaced with a wheeled undercarriage for shore operations.
Fifty of the original design (later referred to as the 39A) were produced. They featured twin floats and were powered by a Hall-Scott A-7 engine. A redesign followed, increasing the wingspan to create more lift for water takeoffs. This became known as the 39B. Other changes included a change to a single pontoon with outrigger floats, an enlarged vertical tail, and a new powerplant, the Curtiss OXX.
On October 26, 1922 Godfrey DeCourcelles Chevalier landed a 39B on a moving ship, the USS Langley. It was the first time this had been achieved on an American aircraft carrier. Subsequently, trials of underway carrier takeoffs and landings continued through 1922 and 1923.
- Length: 30 ft 4 in. (9.25 m)
- Wingspan: 47 ft 0 in. (14.32 m)
- Height: 13 ft 2 in. (4.01 m)
- Wing area: 494 ft (45.89 mІ)
- Empty weight: 1,939 lb (880 kg)
- Loaded weight: 2,050 lb (931 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 2,505 lb (1136 kg)
- Powerplant: Curtiss OXX-6 V-piston, 100 hp (75 kW)
- Maximum speed: 73 mph (117 km/h)
- Range: 273 miles (439 km)
- Service ceiling: 8,200 ft (2,500 m)
- Power/mass: 0.049 hp/lb (80 W/kg)